Tribunal orders arrest of two Netrakona brothers
International Crimes Tribunal-1 yesterday issued arrest warrants for two brothers from Netrakona who were allegedly involved in crimes committed during the Liberation War in 1971.
The three-member tribunal led by Justice Anwarul Haque showed a third accused, Sohrab Fakir, arrested in the case because he was detained under the 1974 special powers act on Thursday.
It passed the order following a petition of the prosecution and fixed March 30 for the next order. The court also asked the jail authorities to produce Sohrab before it on that day.
All three accused hail from Atpara upazila.
Moving the petition, Prosecutor Zead Al Malum said the investigation against the three began on May 5 last year and the investigation officer had already found evidence of their involvement in crimes committed in Netrakona during the Liberation War.
If they are not arrested, they might go into hiding, he said.
Sohrab Fakir was arrested in a case filed in Mymensingh and is now in a Mymensingh jail.
Investigation Officer Aminur Rashid told The Daily Star at 4:45pm that police were yet to arrest the duo.
Meanwhile, the tribunal ordered its registrar's office to publish ads in a Bangla and an English national daily, asking fugitive war crimes accused Edris Ali Sarder alias Gazi Edris of Sariatpur to appear within seven days from the day of the ads' publication.
Edris is one of the two accused in a case filed for allegedly committing crimes during the Liberation War in Shariatpur. The other accused, Sulaiman Mollah, is now in jail.
The tribunal fixed March 10 for passing the next order.
The prosecution on November 16 last year pressed four charges against them, relating to killing, mass killing, rape, looting, arson and forced deportation.
Comments