James responds to Rome hotel room controversy

Arts & Entertainment Desk

Nagarbaul James has spoken out over allegations that a hotel room was left dirty and untidy following his concert in Rome, Italy, amid a series of controversies surrounding the event.

The popular singer said the room in question was not his, but had been occupied by a young guest guitarist travelling with his team. He also said there was no need to make a major issue out of the matter.

James addressed the controversy at a press conference in Venice, Italy, on Thursday. Meanwhile, a separate dispute over allegations of fraud and financial irregularities surrounding the Rome concert has also sparked a war of words between the organisers and James’s representatives.

James and his team stayed at apartments at a Best Western hotel ahead of their concert in Rome on August 16. After they checked out, several photographs of one of the rooms, along with screenshots of conversations between the hotel authorities and representatives of the organisers, were circulated on social media.

The messages alleged that one of the rooms had been left dirty and untidy. There were also claims that the room had been vacated without informing the hotel authorities.

Addressing the allegations, James said the controversy concerned Room 549, which had been occupied by one of the team’s guest guitarists.

“The allegation concerns Room 549. One of our guest guitarists was staying there. He is a young man. The rule is that the hotel staff clean the rooms regularly. Perhaps the young man did not have the room cleaned,” James said.

“But this is not such a major issue. Things like this happen in hotels all the time. Rooms have to be cleaned every day; perhaps he did not have it done.”

Describing the matter as fairly ordinary, James added, “Many people leave their rooms untidy. If the hotel authorities really imposed a €200 fine, what is so serious about that? There are also instances where someone smokes in a room and has to pay a €100 or €200 fine. Different countries have different rules. This is not such a major matter.”

Despite the issue generating considerable discussion and criticism on social media, James said he was not particularly concerned.

“There is no need to turn this into such a big issue. Let them do what they are doing. Let them. They have phones, they are writing a few things, so let them write. There is nothing to stop them. Let them express themselves freely; they have that freedom,” he said.

Earlier on Thursday, James’s spokesperson, Rubaiyat Thakur Robin, said that James had not stayed in the room at the centre of the controversy.

According to Robin, a total of four rooms had been booked for the team. James stayed in Room 345, while Robin stayed in Room 246. Room 549 was occupied by another musician from the team.

“The musician concerned was staying in Room 549, which is the room referred to in the hotel’s complaint. Therefore, it would not be right to hold James responsible for the condition of someone else’s room. He is Bangladesh’s biggest star, and such misinformation about him is not acceptable,” Robin said.

Robin also denied allegations that the room had been vacated in violation of hotel rules or without contacting the reception.

Meanwhile, Italian organiser Hossain Ahmed has raised separate allegations of fraud and financial misappropriation in connection with the Rome concert. He claimed that disputes had arisen over the advance payment for the concert and revenue from ticket sales. He also alleged that Robin had refused to provide an account of the money involved.

The organiser further claimed that police had been called over the dispute.

James’s representatives have categorically denied the allegations. Robin said the two parties had entered into an agreement before the concert and that there were provisions for legal action in the event of any breach of the agreement.