DGHS revises measles data again

Third major revision in two weeks raises questions
Tuhin Shubhra Adhikary
Tuhin Shubhra Adhikary

The Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) revised today’s measles figures within a few hours of uploading the data to its website, lowering the numbers of suspected measles cases and hospital admissions.

In its first press release uploaded this afternoon, the DGHS had reported 1,967 suspected cases in the last 24 hours and 1,878 hospital admissions during the same period.

Both figures were the highest since March 15.

However, after some time, the authorities withdrew the data from the website replacing it with a revised press release about two hours later.

The new press release mentioned 972 suspected cases in the last 24 hours till 8:00am today, while the new number of admissions was 883.

The latest press release mentioned that the health directorate had updated the numbers out of the Mymensingh Civil Surgeon Office.

However, a comparison of the two data sheets by this correspondent found changes in the numbers of suspected cases and patients in Mymensingh, Barishal and Sylhet divisions.

Major changes were reported in the Mymensingh division.

While the first press release said 1,039 suspected cases and 1,024 admissions were reported from the division, the latest data showed only 44 suspected cases and 29 admissions.

The first sheet showed that Barishal division recorded 144 suspected cases and 150 admissions, while the latest one showed 43 suspected cases and 43 admissions.

Besides, the first datasheet showed the Sylhet division recorded 43 suspected cases and 43 admissions, but the latest data showed 144 suspected cases and 150 admissions during this time.

However, the numbers of suspected measles deaths and confirmed deaths remained unchanged in both datasheets.

This is the third major revision within two weeks, raising questions about the authenticity of the data and the DGHS’s sincerity in handling such important information.

On May 10, the authorities made major changes to the death figures by adding 46 suspected deaths that had not been recorded earlier.

At the time, the directorate said it updated the figures after reviewing all the information coming out of Mymensingh Medical College Hospital, Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital and Rangpur Medical College Hospital, as well as the respective civil surgeon offices.

Another major revision was made on May 18, when the directorate removed 4,340 suspected measles cases from the database. At the time, it said the data had been updated due to duplication in information sent from Rajshahi Medical College Hospital.

Public health expert Mushtuq Husain said the frequent changes in the data cast doubt in people’s minds about the authenticity of the information.

"The authorities should place greater emphasis on the matter to avoid such revisions," he told this correspondent today.

Contacted, Prof Zahid Raihan, additional director general (administration) of DGHS, admitted that "today’s data was revised due to overlapping information from Mymensingh Medical College Hospital"

He said the authorities had issued show-cause notices to the director of RMCH and the Rajshahi divisional director (health) for sending “wrong information”.

Replying to a question, he said the authorities would also investigate today’s mismatch and take action if anyone was found responsible, he told The Daily Star today.